Report a Crime

File a criminal complaint with the Waukesha Police Department:

  • 262-524-3831
  • 1901 Delafield Street
    Waukesha, WI 53188
  • Click here for more information. 

What happens if I report to the police? 

  • You will talk to a police officer on the phone or in person. You may choose to report at the Waukesha Police Department, or a police officer can come to campus and you can report in your residence hall, in the Student Affairs House, in the Office of Violence Prevention, or anywhere else on campus.
  • They will ask you for some of the details of the incident including who, what, where, and when. You may choose which questions you answer. However, the amount of information you are able to give may determine whether the Department can file a criminal charge. 
  • The officers may call Mobile Victim Assistance (MVA), who are victim/witness counselors that provide support for victims. 
  • The police officer(s) may then call someone from the Sensitive Crimes Unit from the Waukesha Police Department. This is because there are patrol officers, who act as the first responders, and then there are special units that handle different cases, including detectives and the sensitive crimes unit. 
    • The Sensitive Crimes Unit will use an audio/video recording device during your interview so they don't have to take notes while you talk. 
  • The police may ask you questions that make you feel like they don't believe you. 
    • Unfortunately, this is the experience of many victims. However, it is not because an officer doesn't believe you that they ask you questions, it is an attempt to understand, not to blame. 
      • Example: An officer may ask if you were intoxicated at the time of the incident. This question isn't meant to blame you or rationalize what happened, rather the answer may inform how the police proceed in their investigation. 
      • Example: An officer may ask if you had previous sexual relations with the person who committed the misconduct/crime. This question does not justify the respondent's behavior or raise questions about your character, rather it helps understand the dynamic between a victim and perpetrator, and therefore, how to proceed with the investigation. 
  • If the officers assigned to the case determine there is enough initial evidence to recommend the case for prosecution, then the District Attorney's Office will review the case.
  • If the District Attorney's office agrees that there is enough evidence, they will file a criminal complaint. The criminal complaint lists what a person is charged with and includes the date of Initial Appearance in Court. 
    • According to Wisconsin Statute Chapter 950, you have the right to be informed of court proceedings and whether there is the option of a plea bargain. 
  • The initial appearance will end in one of two ways:
    • A plea of guilty or no contest, where the criminal defendant comes to an agreement with the District Attorney about the charge and sentencing. The step after that is sentencing.
    • A plea of "not guilty" or "not guilty by reason of mental disease" where the court will schedule a series of hearings, status conferences, and if the case is not dismissed, a trial. If the criminal defendant is found guilty, then the court will also schedule a sentencing hearing. 
    • According to Wisconsin Statutes 950.04(1v)(m) and 972.14(3)(a), victims of crime have the right to provide a victim witness impact statement at sentencing either in person or in writing to be read during the hearing. 

For more information on understanding the criminal justice system, click here

Note: You may contact the Waukesha Women's Center Legal Advocate (confidential) 262-547-4600 or 262-896-8243 or Carroll's Office of Violence Prevention 262-524-7099 if you want assistance in the criminal reporting process.

Report a Carroll Policy Violation

You may report an incident of University policy violation or crime to a Carroll University employee. Formal reporting means that only individuals who need to know will be told and information will be shared only as necessary with investigators, witnesses, and the accused individual.

If you experienced any form of sexual misconduct, contact the Office of Violence Prevention, the Office of Student Affairs, or the Office of Human Resources for options and procedures available.
Incidents involving students will be investigated by the Office of Student Affairs and/or the Office of Human Resources if the incident involved a student and a faculty and/or staff member.

Depending on whom the alleged harasser may be (faculty, staff, administrator, or student) different procedures will apply to resolve the incident.  Disciplinary action may be taken whether or not criminal charges are filed and without regard to whether the conduct occurred on or off campus. For more information, click here.

To make a report, click here or contact: 

For a list of confidential reporting options, click here