Use this guide as your checklist to help you with the admissions process and beyond, at Carroll University. If you need help, email us at or call us at 262-650-4807.

Once you have completed this process, visit the other pages on our Military and Veterans Services site for the programs provided at Carroll University.


1. Apply to Carroll! There are no fees for application. Evaluation for acceptance generally takes one to three weeks and is done on a rolling basis.

Carroll University is committed to the clearest path for college admittance through our Non-Traditional admissions process. Generally, military/veteran students have some college credits even though you may not have attended a previous campus. Most then are considered Transfer/Non-Traditional students.

Provide transcripts and test scores as needed and your DD-214 for credits you might have earned while in the service.

2. Apply for your GI Benefits.

There is a wide a variety of education benefits offered by the Veterans Administration, including the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, Transfer of Benefits, Yellow Ribbon, and Veterans Vocational Rehab. Additionally, Wisconsin offers varying opportunities to National Guardsmen (some of the benefits come with different levels of eligibility). Whether you are a reservist, in the National Guard, or on active duty, you should check the VA website or contact your local county Veterans Services Office to review your options. 

  • This process takes between 4-8 weeks to complete (continue with the steps for admittance in the interim).

3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

In addition to VA benefits, Federal, state and institutional financial aid programs may be available to help cover the cost of attendance.

  • VA benefits DO NOT count against your financial aid eligibility.
  • Apply for the FAFSA even if the priority deadline has passed. There may still be funding available.

4. Accept Offer of Admission!

Once you have received notice of admission and financial aid award, you must accept the offer of admission and confirm your intent to enroll.

 5. Register for classes. Call the office of Admissions at 262-524-7208 (locally) or 1-800-CARROLL (toll free) to set up a registration appointment.

  • Appointments should be scheduled with your admission counselor
  • Registration for classes is on a first-come, first-serve basis

6. Submit Certificate of Eligibility.

Once you receive your notice of benefit eligibility, make an appointment with the Veteran's Certifying Official in the Registrar's office at 262.524-7209.

  • Bring a COPY of the Certificate of Eligibility from the VA as well as a copy of your DD-214.
  • The Certifying Official will review benefit coverage and refer you to the Financial Aid Office for any circumstances of coverage that is less than 100%.

 NOTE: Upon the recommendation of the Veteran's Certifying Official, the Financial Aid office will implement the Yellow Ribbon benefits after Carroll Aid, scholarships and grants have been exhausted.