The Pioneer Core is Carroll's general education curriculum. Pioneer Core expands student learning beyond the major area of study, providing not only depth and breadth, but also a series of cross-cultural learning opportunities. The knowledge and skills developed through Pioneer Core are essential for students to reach their full potential as educated citizens in diverse communities and in an ever-changing workforce. Upon completion of Carroll's Pioneer Core, students will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Understand world cultures and reflectively interact with cultures other than their own.
- Critically evaluate global issues from multiple perspectives.
- Understand and analyze multiple philosophical, ethical and religious positions held by persons within their own and other cultures.
- Understand the methodologies germane to the fine arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences as well as their larger social context.
- Analyze and integrate material in a field outside the major area of study.
- Develop and defend a position that demonstrates logical reasoning both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate information fluency by gathering, analyzing and synthesizing information using emerging technologies and traditional media.
Students accomplish these learning outcomes through the continuous exposure to cultural themes woven through the PioCore required courses, a distribution component and a cross-cultural experience.